Saturday, March 13, 2010

The 21st Century Cain

Genesis 4:1-12


Hmmm, interesting quote here from Cain is it not.  In his jealousy and rage over being rejected, instead of bearing the responsibility for change and correction, he lashes out in self-centered antagonism and destroys the one who reflects back at him his failure and shortcoming, his Brother, whom he is juxtaposed against in his own mind.  The Lord approaches Cain and asks the question He already knows the answer to and Cain defends himself with that infamous response which even today echoes, "Am I my brother's keeper?"  He disavowed any responsibility for his brother; Abel was Abel's responsibility and Cain was Cain's responsibility.


But, despite the ruthlessness of the act, at least Cain only went after Abel.  I wonder if today's rendition of this passage would have went something more like this had it occurred with a 21st century Cain.


8 Now Cain said to his brother the Cain, "Let's go out to the field."  And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel's faith and told him he had killed God.  He left God slain in the field, a bloody victim of Cain's attack on Abel's faith.  Abel and Cain left the field, and forgot about offerings altogether and enjoyed their new found freedom.

 9 Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel's faith?"

      "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my own keeper? Am I responsible for what I do?  If you are real, aren't you responsible for this mess we're in?  And if you aren't real, what difference does it make anyway?"

 10 The LORD said, "What have you done? Listen! Your brother's blood and those all around him and the blood of the culture cries out to me from the ground. 11 Now you are under a curse and driven from the ground, which opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand. 12 When you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you. You will be a restless wanderer on the earth.  Cain said, "I didn't care much for farming anyway.  I think I'll start writing philosophy books instead.  It's easier than working the land and it pays a lot better as well."



1 comment:

  1. Boy, you hit the nail on the head with that one. Hopefully no philosophy profs will read this or they'll be calling for your head! Godspeed brother.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts as we journey together.